EDCI 337

Blog Post #1 – Theories and Neuromyths

Photo from Brooke Cagle on Unsplash

After this week of study, I have a certain understanding of these three different theories: behaviourist theories, cognitive theories, and constructivist theories. In my opinion, these three theories have their own characteristics if they are put into actual class teaching.

For example, the first type is behaviourist theories, although he trains students how to receive stimulation and give performance, and it does have a significant effect. But on the other hand, students just keep repeating the mechanized memory until practice makes perfect and quickly speaks the answer. Another type is cognitive theories, which is more about how to allow students to fully understand the knowledge by themselves. For example, the first theory can let students fully memorize simple calculations, while the second theory is to bring that simple calculations into complex formulas with the help of the teacher, and change various calculation methods. And the third type is constructivist theories. I think it is the best way to help students train their own learning.

And I’m no stranger to this aspect of Neuromyths, because in my personal experience, I often hear many people say to me that people with the dominant left hand will develop better right brains. In fact, before this week, I did not know in detail what the different ways of thinking of the left and right brains are. Although when I was in elementary school, the teacher changed my left-hand writing to right-hand writing, but I still use my left hand in my daily life and using tableware. So according to this theory, I will use the right brain to think more, and my way of thinking is indeed more right-brained.

« »