EDCI 337

Blog Post #3-The Combination of Multimedia and Text

From this week’s multimedia learning principles, we can understand how multimedia helps students learn. Ray Pastore pointed out in his video that multimedia contains two different types of representations:

• Verbal = words, text, and narrations
  • Non-Verbal = images, graphs, icons, and pictures

If we use PPT as an example, Verbal refers to the text area in the PPT, and Non-Verbal refers to the pictures or diagrams in it.

From my personal learning experience, I feel that putting text and some examples of images together when explaining will make my learning more effective. Especially for some classes that pay more attention to analysis, if you add some charts, it will be more convenient for students to understand. From the perspective of the speaker, if I simply put a lot of text on it, it would make this PPT seem more monotonous and boring. And when showing to others, if it is just text, it is easy for people to not want to continue listening, and putting some interesting images and videos will attract the listener’s attention more.

The following video was found when I was doing research. It explained that visualizing can help improve students’ reading ability and comprehension. For example, in some books, interesting pictures attached to the text can attract the attention of students. In addition, the use of multimedia help can effectively improve the efficiency of teaching and learning.

« »